If you are new to this, here is the idea behind the challenge:
Just that. Pure and simple.
Montgomery is my favorite female author of all time and I love beginning a new year with her quiet, spunky, imaginative characters. Despite the fact that her life was far from serene and perfect, she managed to create characters that have made the world laugh and smile for over 100 years. I take pleasure in her books, despite the fact that they are rather formulaic. I find them to be remarkably peaceful. They are quiet reads which keep a slow and steady pace and which continue to draw me back to them year after year after year. If you have not had the pleasure of reading a L.M. Montgomery book, I hope you'll take the time to do so this month. If you are looking for another excuse to take a leisurely walk around Prince Edward Island with some of your favorite friends, well then, please, let me provide that excuse!
I invite you to read any book by Montgomery or about Montgomery as part of this challenge. Audio books are, of course, very welcome as are the first two Anne movies created and produced by Kevin Sullivan. The only two things which never have and never will "count" towards participating in this challenge are the following:
- Before Green Gables, by Budge Wilson. This is a made up history of Anne. It's the imaginings of another author about my most beloved Montgomery character. It offends me and, this being a reading challenge that I am hosting, I do not allow it.
- I also do not allow the inclusion of Anne Of Green Gables - The Continuing Story because Kevin Sullivan lost his mind when he made this one and decided to re-write the history of Anne of Gilbert on the screen. This movie should be considered Anne heresy and is banned around these parts.
Everything else is fair game.
What I ask participants in this challenge do is to write up a post on your own blog stating the following:
a.) That you intend to participate in this Lucy Maud Montgomery Reading Challenge;
b.) List which of her books you intend to read (or which movies you intend to watch); and
c.) Enjoy whatever it is that you manage to work through during the month.
I do hope you will join in and be a part of this reading challenge. I so enjoy hosting this every year and always try to learn something new about Montgomery as I read on. If you're planning to read along, please let me (and everyone else!) know in the comment section!
Posts from past years which you might enjoy reading:
- Learn about the Lucy Maud Montgomery Society of Ontario
- Throw an Anne of Green Gables Tea Party
- Learn about the Lucy Maud Montgomery Literary Society
- Find out which was the only one of Montgomery's novels not set on Prince Edward Island.
- Enjoy a picture book about Montgomery with your kids. Check out Lucy Maud and the Cavendish Cat, by Lynn Manuel.